Friday, March 8, 2013

Reaction Essay


In “Persepolis”  by Marjane Satrapi, one of the major themes is about people suffering from authoritarian control. The guardians of the revolution controlled all aspects of their life their life. For example, in the book Marjane the character is wearing a jacket with a Michael Jackson pin. When the guardians see her, they stopped her and asked her to take it off and asked her to go to the committee. They reason why they did that is because they don't want the Iranians effected by the western culture.

Furthermore, guardians control what they can or can’t do such as, parties weren’t allowed and some tried to have it under covered. Alcoholic beverages were not allowed, too.  His uncle had built a genuine wine making at his basement to make sure nobody will know. That night, when they were at their way home, police stopped them and they smelled alcohol on her father. They asked him to drive to his home in to discover if he has any alcohol.

This theme is important because it shows that people need to be free. This book does a good job at showing this in different ways. I believe this because everyone wants to be independent in his life. I remembered when I was at home, I weren’t able to say, act, and behave naturally. Not because someone is controlled me but because how the society see my behavior is a strange and unacceptable.

What I suffered from can’t even compare it with what happened with Marjane, even though it was frustrating for me. Therefore, in Persepolis I see my self. It's a useful story, which helps you thinking about freedom and how people defended, died, lost their properties to have their rights to do, say, and act with no authority control.


No comments:

Post a Comment